[private] [MLton] native vs. C code generation

Buday Gergely István gergely.buday@siemens.com
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 16:54:18 +0200

------_=_NextPart_001_01C56782.F3C66935

Matthew Fluet wrote:

> http://mlton.org/pipermail/mlton/2005-March/026884.html
>
> There is no difference in the space usage of programs
> compiled using the
> different codegens.  All codegens have exactly the same (heap) memory
> usage behavior.

Er... I was not clear. I was interested in the generated code's size. But
I've found that in the mail you are referring to.

I've computed an average of native vs. C code speed. It turned out that C
code is 35% slower than native on average (ok this is not a real average).
Considering code size it's about 10%. My question is then: does it make
sense to write native codegenerator for a new platform? And, how much effort
would it be?

- Gergely

------_=_NextPart_001_01C56782.F3C66935

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DISO-8859-1">
5.5.2658.24">
<TITLE> [private]  [MLton] native vs. C code generation</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Matthew Fluet wrote:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; <A =
HREF=3D"http://mlton.org/pipermail/mlton/2005-March/026884.html" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://mlton.org/pipermail/mlton/2005-March/026884.htm=
l</A></FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; There is no difference in the space usage of =
programs </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; compiled using the </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; different codegens.&nbsp; All codegens have =
exactly the same (heap) memory </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; usage behavior.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Er... I was not clear. I was interested in the =
generated code's size. But I've found that in the mail you are =
referring to.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I've computed an average of native vs. C code speed. =
It turned out that C code is 35% slower than native on average (ok this =
is not a real average). Considering code size it's about 10%. My =
question is then: does it make sense to write native codegenerator for =
a new platform? And, how much effort would it be? </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>- Gergely</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>