[MLton] Re: Ray tracer update

Stephen J. Bevan stephen@dino.dnsalias.com
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 07:45:58 -0700

Florian Weimer writes:
 > But I don't understand why this change is necessary.  Just add
 >
 > (add-to-list 'compilation-error-regexp-alist
 > 	     '("^Error: \\([^\t\n]*\\) \\([0-9]+\\)\\.\\([0-9]+\\)\\.$"
 > 	       1 2 3))
 >
 > to your ~/.emacs file, and Emacs should recognize MLton's error
 > messages.

The compiler change clearly isn't necessary since there are multiple
workarounds available (unfortunately none of which are mentioned in
the MLton documentation).  But by the same token it is isn't necessary
for MLton to use a format that isn't recognized by Emacs by default
either.

 > I don't understand your GNU Ada reference.  By default, GNAT generates
 > error messages which Emacs can parse.

The box I use GNAT on still has a version of GNAT from a few years
ago.  By default that version of GNAT generates errors in the format
that is not Emacs friendly (I've just installed the latest GNAT on
this box and the older output looks like the equivalent of -gnatv in
the latest version).  Clearly at some point the GNAT default changed
from an Emacs unfriendly to Emacs friendly format.