[MLton] SML documentation tool(s)

Andreas Rossberg rossberg@ps.uni-sb.de
Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:02:14 +0200

Vesa Karvonen wrote:

> So, I would like to know whether others strongly prefer to keep documentation
> separate from the source code or not. If separation of documentation is
> generally preferred, then improving ML-Doc is probably the way to go.

I agree with you that having documentation and source together is
preferable in most cases. However, wouldn't the easiest way to achieve
that (and the most flexible) be an auxiliary tool that just extracts the
documentation from the sources and generates input appropriate for
ML-Doc? (Preferably using a more ergonomic input syntax than XMLish RSI
acceleration crap.)

> Otherwise it would make sense to write a tool to support embedding
> documentation into source code and, as I'm unaware of existing tools (except
> perhaps mkdoc) for SML, I'm willing to put time into implementing such a
> tool. (It is not that I would want to spend time implementing a tool for the
> fun of it. While working in other languages, I have used the existing tools.)

That would be great!

--
Andreas Rossberg, rossberg@ps.uni-sb.de

Let's get rid of those possible thingies!  -- TB