[MLton] SML documentation tool(s)

Daniel C. Wang danwang@CS.Princeton.EDU
Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:52:31 -0700

A very long long time ago. I hacked the SML/NJ frontend to extract MLDoc
from commented SML.  The hack was pretty simple.
First slurp in the AST for a ML file. Next slurp the whole file in as
one big string. Walk the ast looking for function decls or anything else
you wanted to annotate. Use the source position info in the ast to find
a location in the original string. Then just do a little regexp
searching to find the apporpiate comment. I submited this hack to the
MLDoc folks but I don't know what happened to it.
The purpose was to generate MLdoc boilerplate for the SL/NJ library
which was allready heavily commented.

Doing this with MLTon or any compiler should be an easy one day hack for
someone who understands the MLton internals. If you do this after
elaboration you can even take advantange of typeinfo to do something
fancier. I'd suggest doing something a little smarter than my "slupr"
the whole file in as a strings. In fact, doesn't MLTon generate etags
info already? It would be easy just to use the etags info to search for
comments or to hack the etags suport to do this.