[MLton] A MLton / C-- Experiment

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:25:49 -0800

>  3) Programs that make use of MLton's world library cannot be
>     supported.  Loading a world picks up the ML stack from the ML
>     heap, but will not be able to recover the C-- stack.
> (Unfortunately, a self-compile is ruled out by (3)).

I don't think it would be to hard to hack around this and take out the
save world stuff, at least for a simple test.

> I don't know how tenable it is to go back to 32-bit file positions
> to complete the experiment

It should be quite easy.  As I recall, once we had all the 64-bit
stuff in place, it was only a few changes to make file positions use
them, and the type system told all.  If you do this and it's not
trivial, it might be worth trying to clean up things so that it is as
simple as setting a line

  structure Position = Int64

or

  structure Position = Int32

in the basis library sources to affect the change.