[MLton] mingwows

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley@terpstra.ca
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 01:04:28 +0100

On Nov 10, 2005, at 8:48 PM, Stephen Weeks wrote:
>> Under Cygwin .. which is the preferred way of using MinGW, you just
>> say:
>>
>> gcc -mno-cygwin ...
>
> I was not aware that this was the preferred way.

... because it isn't.

For some releases of cygwin, that will just statically link.
That's not MinGW. Also, even when it uses MinGW, the
resulting binaries are often much larger.

> All that being said, the MLton MinGW binary package is targeting a
> different set of Windows users: those who don't want to install or use
> Cygwin.

... which definitely includes me. :-)
Although, I had to install it anyways. :-(

The main reason for MinGW, though, is avoiding cygwin.dll.
That avoids the GPL issue, and also has the advantage of
not requiring the user to download/install the DLL.