[MLton] mingwows

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 17:08:16 -0800

> under Linux it is VERY good to use a script (instead of a compiled
> program) to run the compiler.  The reason is that the script is both
> readable (ok, not so trivially) and modifiable, even if you do NOT
> have MLton working yet.

It's useless to run a driver script unless you can also run the
program that it drives.  In this case, the driver script calls
mlton-compile, an executable built by MLton.  If you can use MLton to
build mlton-compile for the platform, then surely you can use MLton to
build the driver script too.

To put it another way, I usually port MLton to a new platform by first
cross compiling mlton-compile and then bootstrapping on the new
platform.  It's no problem to cross compile the driver script also.