[MLton] mingwows

Michael Norrish Michael Norrish <Michael.Norrish@nicta.com.au>
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 17:16:20 +1100

Daniel C. Wang writes:
> If we don't assume the existence of MSYS on the target system .tgz isn't
> portable. A .zip would be more appropiate for window users.

> Also, you might want to look into
> http://nsis.sourceforge.net/

I can recommend InnoSetup, another free self-installing executable
creator.  This is what we use for HOL4 on Windows.  I've heard that
nsis is more complicated (InnoSetup is certainly very easy to use).

Ken Friis-Larsen used nsis to create the Moscow ML installer that is
available from

  http://www.dina.kvl.dk/~sestoft/mosml.html

and this does fancy things like set environment variables as it
installs.

If all you want to do is whack some executables onto the user's disk,
and possibly create one or two installation-specific helpers (the .bat
file, or whatever), then I'm sure any of these tools will be more than
adequate.  Certainly, the self-installing executable provides a much
more appealing user-experience.

Michael.