[MLton] Unicode / WideChar

Adam Goode adam@evdebs.org
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:18:04 -0500

--=-YyK9mbZg7LyLAG7bMEiv

On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 10:54 +0100, Andreas Rossberg wrote:
> For a more practical example, consider file paths on Windows, where you=20
> have to perform (map toLower) for normalization.
>=20

I don't think you can reliably use toLower/toUpper (or any static
method) to do case mapping on Windows. NTFS stores a special file named
"$UpCase" which provides the case mapping for that volume. This file can
have arbitrary mappings. (But it usually has something sane.)

See:
http://blogs.msdn.com/michkap/archive/2005/01/16/353873.aspx

The blog is definitely worth reading, Michael Kaplan is somewhat of an
expert in the use of Unicode in practice.

Adam

--=-YyK9mbZg7LyLAG7bMEiv

--=-YyK9mbZg7LyLAG7bMEiv--