[MLton] Re: cygwoes

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 23:02:17 -0400 (EDT)

--1417689696-1005246318-1129086137=:5095

> I did a little more investigating of the Virtual{Alloc,Free} problems over
> the weekend, and I'm mostly convinced that (at least through Cygwin), they
> are not working as advertised by the API.  I've got more info at home that
> I'll try to post this evening.

Here is a quick little program that replicates the relevant parts of gc.c
and platform/windows.c that call VirtualAlloc with a non-NULL starting
address.  When I run it under Cygwin, I get:

start = 0x60000000  size = 8192
Error: VirtualFree failed with error 87: The parameter is incorrect.
start = 0x60000000  size = 16384
Error: VirtualFree failed with error 87: The parameter is incorrect.
start = 0x18000000  size = 32768
Error: VirtualFree failed with error 487: Attempt to access invalid address.
start = 0x18000000  size = 65536
Error: VirtualFree failed with error 487: Attempt to access invalid address.
start = 0x18000000  size = 131072
Error: VirtualFree failed with error 487: Attempt to access invalid address.
start = 0x18000000  size = 262144
Error: VirtualFree failed with error 487: Attempt to access invalid address.
start = 0x18000000  size = 524288
Error: VirtualFree failed with error 487: Attempt to access invalid address.
start = 0x18000000  size = 1048576
Error: VirtualFree failed with error 487: Attempt to access invalid address.
start = 0x18000000  size = 2097152
Error: VirtualFree failed with error 487: Attempt to access invalid address.
start = 0x18000000  size = 4194304
Error: VirtualFree failed with error 487: Attempt to access invalid address.
start = 0x10000000  size = 8388608
Error: VirtualFree failed with error 487: Attempt to access invalid address.
start = 0x10000000  size = 16777216
Error: VirtualFree failed with error 487: Attempt to access invalid address.
start = 0x10000000  size = 33554432
Error: VirtualFree failed with error 487: Attempt to access invalid address.
start = 0x10000000  size = 67108864
Error: VirtualFree failed with error 487: Attempt to access invalid address.
start = 0x10000000  size = 134217728
Error: VirtualFree failed with error 487: Attempt to access invalid address.
start = 0x08000000  size = 268435456
Error: VirtualFree failed with error 487: Attempt to access invalid address.

Yet, all the program does is immediately VirtualFree the memory returned
by VirtualAlloc.  As best I can tell, this behavior is not consistent with
the API.  If any of the more Windows savvy programmers can see why this is
the appropriate behavior, we'd like to know.  I'm also interested if
anyone could try to compile and run the program as a native Windows
application (i.e., not through Cygwin).  I'm curious to see if the same
behavior is also observed there.

If I change the call to VirtualAlloc to take NULL as the starting address,
I get:

start = 0x18b70000  size = 8192
start = 0x18b70000  size = 16384
start = 0x18b70000  size = 32768
start = 0x18b70000  size = 65536
start = 0x18b70000  size = 131072
start = 0x18b70000  size = 262144
start = 0x18b70000  size = 524288
start = 0x18b70000  size = 1048576
start = 0x18b70000  size = 2097152
start = 0x18b70000  size = 4194304
start = 0x18b70000  size = 8388608
start = 0x18b70000  size = 16777216
start = 0x18b70000  size = 33554432
start = 0x18b70000  size = 67108864
start = 0x18b70000  size = 134217728
start = 0x18b70000  size = 268435456
--1417689696-1005246318-1129086137=:5095
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--1417689696-1005246318-1129086137=:5095--