[MLton] mingwows

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley@terpstra.ca
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:46:39 +0200

In Oct 13, 2005, at 5:38 PM, Daniel C. Wang wrote:
> So. i forget exactly how mingwing and cyngwin relate, but doesn't
> cygwin ship with the headers tool and runtime to let you build
> mingwin apps.

Yeah, cygwin includes some strange mutation of MinGW.
I personally just use the 'official' MinGW distro instead.

> If so I'd suggest we ditch the "native" cygiwn build and only
> support a cygwin or msys build of a native migwin app.

Cygwin has fork and other UNIXisms.
These are then available to SML.
For the MinGW build, some POSIX methods are just missing.
So, I am not sure dropping cygwin is really an option.

The main benefit of MinGW is that it is a native windows app.
(No path emulation, no cygwin.dll, etc)