[MLton] 64-bit pointers

skaller skaller@users.sourceforge.net
Mon, 05 Sep 2005 12:42:36 +1000

--=-HxsoAtxHSRo8WzqZaasD

On Mon, 2005-09-05 at 04:09 +0200, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> On Sep 5, 2005, at 3:25 AM, Matthew Fluet wrote:

> It is clear that using 64bit pointers will double the memory foot
> print of the application. However, what I was trying to say, is that
> the range during which these optimizations will be useful is only
> between 4GB and 32GB. In the future, I don't imagine computers
> to stay in this range of RAM for more than six to ten years.

RAM is not the issue. The issue is ADDRESS SPACE.

Or have we forgotten the idea of 'virtual' memory? ..:)

Many of us would like to virtualise *networks* not just
local disks..  basically 64 bits is WAY TOO SMALL.

It has nothing to do with RAM! That's just another
level of cache.. :)

--=20
John Skaller <skaller at users dot sourceforge dot net>

--=-HxsoAtxHSRo8WzqZaasD

--=-HxsoAtxHSRo8WzqZaasD--