[MLton] funny error message

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 07:10:55 -0400 (EDT)

>> If one
>> uses MLton for any length of time, one quickly learns that it takes a
>> long time before the first type error is reported, and no time at all
>> for subsequent errors.
>
> What do you mean 'a long time'??

Well, I can't argue with your personal opinions, but I think it is safe to
say that you are in a minority of programmers who find a 12h
edit-compile-debug loop acceptable.

>>  Further subsequent errors messages are
>> generally pretty good.  So, it is clearly a win for MLton to report
>> those subsequent messages.
>
> No, it isn't clear: I would not want this.
> I just don't want to deal with more than one error at a time,
> unless I really do have a really slow compiler.

Again, personal preference, but I agree that often more than one typing
error is too much to handle at a time.

>>  In this situation and others, I often
>> successfuly process 5-10 error messages in a batch with no difficulty.
>> I and other MLton users would needlessly waste a lot of time if we had
>> to recompile for each error.
>>
>> If someone wants to use MLton and only ever read the first message
>> they can.
>
> Please put a switch that limits the number of errors reported!

There is an (expert) option:
  -error-threshhold <n>
which defaults to 20.  Compiling with 1 ought to acheive your desired
behavior.