[MLton] (no) Standard library bug

Matthew Fluet fluet at cs.cornell.edu
Mon Aug 28 17:50:50 PDT 2006

> As a quick hack, you can include the standard library in your MLB just
> for effect using
>
>  local $(SML_LIB)/basis/basis.mlb in end
>
> This will install the toplevel suffix and everything else needed to
> get a working program, while the local will prevent any declarations
> from being visible.  Of course, the declaration has the annoying side
> effect of greatly increasing compile time and code size.

Similarly, if one wanted to have an alternative basis, then it
may be inapproriate to include the "Standard Basis".  For example, with
Concurrent ML, one might want a thread safe basis with proper I/O
scheduling; installing the top-level handler and suffix using the
"Standard Basis" might lead to I/O races.