[MLton] IntInf implementation questions

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Mon, 6 Feb 2006 16:18:41 -0800

> Of course, I don't really expect normal int*int multiplication to do
> this.
> I just heard Stephen say 'primitive' near the words 32*32->64 mul,
> and my heart jumped into my throat. ;-)
>
> There is still no way to get MLton to output the pretty 'MUL:' assembler
> that I detailed in my post. I've been hoping for some time.

It still seems to me like it shouldn't be that hard for someone to add
(mind you, I don't have the time).  Wesley, you're clearly the one to
do it since you have the need, and now you have more than a year's
experience subscribed to the list, so you know you will get help if
you need it.  I can state with certainty that there is no problem
defining such a primitive, exposing it in the basis, treating it
correctly in the optimizer, and pushing it through all the ILs to the
codegen.  Matthew can comment on how easy it would be to tell the x86
codegen about it.  If that's not problematic, why not spend a day a
put it in?