[MLton] MLB file tree

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 11:37:55 -0500 (EST)

> Attached is a draft patch for a new option "-stop ft" to print the "MLB
> file tree".

That looks generally useful.  I wonder, though, whether the format could
be improved.  Only one of the '{ }' and the indenting are necessary to
capture the nesting; the '{ }' would seem easier to handle by text
processing.

> The file tree is useful for analyzing the (dependency) structure of a
> project.  Using standard text processing commands (grep, sed, ...) you can
> fairly easily extract information from the file tree, such as a list of
> all MLB files used by a project or the same output as produced by "-stop f".

The fact that the mlb files aren't part of the output of "-stop f" is
probably not the right choice.  We usually use "-stop f" to extract
dependencies for a Makefile; technically, you could change a mlb file in a
manner that changes the meaning of a program without changing the list of
source .sml files.

> I implemented the option, because I wanted to know which MLB-files are
> actually used when MLton is compiled, so that I can go through them to
> better understand how much work it might require to get MLton to compile
> under MLKit.

That would be very cool.  Keep us posted.  I saw your comp.lang.functional
posting, and it sounded like the annotations are the issue.