[MLton] question about bin/make-pdf-guide

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Mon, 29 May 2006 13:40:49 -0700

> A normal build (whether from a source package or from an SVN
> checkout) does not perform grab-wiki, so I would think that we can
> presume that a source package has stamped wiki pages with the
> packaging date.

Yes, for stable releases.  What I am more concerned about is packages
built from the SVN (e.g. experimental packages).  For those, we use
the version of the docs in the repository from the last time grab-wiki
was run.

Where this relates to Adam's question is in deciding how to
instantiate the $version in make-pdf-guide.  You proposed using
MLTONVERSION, which is instantiated at source-package build time.  I
think it may be better to use the version corresponding to the run of
grab-wiki.  For stable releases, those will both be the release
number.  For packages built in between releases, using the grab-wiki
version will ensure consistency between the date stamp on each page of
the docs and the date stamp on the pdf MLton Guide cover.  One way to
implement my proposal would be for grab-wiki to store the version in a
file (VERSION) in doc/guide.  Then, make-pdf-guide would use that to
set its $version.  It seems to me like that's the right dependence.