[MLton] amd64 branch merged?

Matthew Fluet fluet at cs.cornell.edu
Wed Nov 29 09:32:06 PST 2006

>> > There was talk of 64 bit branch being merged into trunk,
>> > did this get done?
>>
>> Not quite yet.  I'd like to see the Debian issues resolved before merging,
>> since there will likely to be new issues with the revised runtime.
>
> All the Debian issues are resolved, and MLton 20061107 is in testing.
> So, if there are no other issues, it would be great to see the merge.

I'm preparing some final things before the runtime merge.  I'd like to
propose dropping the
   basis-library/config/c/$(TARGET_ARCH)-$(TARGET_OS)
directories from the repository.  The only file in these directories are a
c-types.sml which is automatically built and copied by the runtime target
of the top-level Makefile.  Updating all the platforms for the repository
is a pain, especially when they will be built automatically the next time
a compile is run on the platform.  The normal user will only ever need
their host platform file.  Other platforms are better added by the
bin/add-cross script (which probably needs some attention on the x86_64
branch anyways).

The only major outstanding issue that I know of is the PackWord<N>
performance problems, but we seem to be prepared to live with it and we've
discussed how to fix it.