[MLton] MLton library project licensing

Ville Laurikari ville at laurikari.net
Fri Oct 6 05:46:10 PDT 2006

Hi all,

I've discussed the license, copyright, and disclaimer issues with our
lawyer.

I believe the plan we ended up in the previous discussion was this:
  - Contributors add their copyright notice to the shared license file
    (the one shown on http://mlton.org/License)
  - New files carry the appropriate copyright notice and refer to the
    shared license file.

The problem with the current license file is that the disclaimer talks
about NEC explicitly.  The license and disclaimer are specific to NEC
and SSH cannot use the license text verbatim.  The concern is that the
disclaimer relieves NEC of any liability, but not SSH.

Therefore, our lawyer recommended that we add generic license and
disclaimer passages after the NEC ones.  The generic text would be the
same as the NEC text but subtitutes NEC with to "the above copyright
holders".

Another option is for SSH to make a modified version of the license,
basically subtituting NEC for SSH and using that.  I would prefer a
solution which others too could use without having to add many license
files.

--
http://www.iki.fi/vl/