[MLton] Welcome to David Kuestler

Stephen Weeks sweeks at sweeks.com
Mon Sep 4 13:37:49 PDT 2006

Welcome to David Kuestler (www.demi.com.au), who has joined the MLton
mailing list.  David is a software developer and data analyst with
experience in a wide range of languages.  He's interested in MLton as
part of his search for an "open source, portable, interactive,
flexible, expressive, high performance language that can intrinsically
process very large volumes of data".  He's also interested in
multicore, in the possibility of MLton targeting the JVM or LLVM, and
whether MLton could be morphed into a JIT.

David, MLton is an excellent choice if you are looking for high
performance and large volumes of data.

There are other SML compilers that already target the JVM and .NET.
See:

  http://mlton.org/MLj
  http://mlton.org/SMLNET

MLton could be made to do so, though it would be a lot of work, and
both MLj and SML.NET made language changes to ease integration.

LLVM has come up before on the list, so I've added a page to the MLton
wiki:

  http://mlton.org/LLVM

As to a JIT, MLton's structure and optimizer is very batch and
whole-program focused, so I'm not optimistic much could be repurposed
for a JIT.

Welcome!