[MLton] MLton library project

Henry Cejtin henry.cejtin at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 26 11:01:38 PDT 2006

I  think  that  one big decision to make is if the library depends heavily on
itself.  I.e., in the mlton/basic stuff, although I really  MUCH  prefer  the
style,  it all depends on other things in that style.  The result is that you
have to carry a huge chunk of the library to use what may be logically a very
small part.

One  thing that I think would actually be a big help for small programs would
be if the command line mlton would accept multiple .sml, .cm and This  way  I
could just say something like
    mlton my-library.mlb junk.sml
to  compile  a  program  which  fits  in just one file, but needs my library.
Without this, I have to create a .mlb or .cm file for every program I  write.

In  C, where you can do this kind of thing, for years I have had a shell file
hgcc in my bin which adds the right -I line and links with my library so that
I can write one-file C programs using my library and just compile them with
    hgcc junk.c