[MLton] ML Workshop, sML Evolution, and CUFP trip report

Andreas Rossberg rossberg at ps.uni-sb.de
Wed Sep 27 02:00:47 PDT 2006

Stephen Weeks wrote:

> sML Evolution Meeting
>
> This was an ad-hoc meeting arranged by Andrew Kennedy for the
> afternoon after the ML workshop.  About 25 people attended.  The idea
> was to bring together representatives of many of the SML
> implementations to discuss sML (successor ML)
>
>   http://successor-ml.org/
>
> and how to evolve SML to get there.  Here were attendees affiliate
> with various implementations.
>
>   Hamlet: Andreas Rossberg
>   MLton: Henry Cejtin, Matthew Fluet, Stephen Weeks
>   Moscow ML: Claudio Russo
>   SML.NET: Nick Benton, Andrew Kennedy, Claudio Russo
>   TILT: Karl Crary, Derek Dreyer, Bob Harper
>
> (apologies if I missed anyone)

Well, you missed the obvious:

   SML/NJ: Matthias Blume, Dave MacQueen, John Reppy

;-)

One interesting point I'd add was the discussion about type classes. At
least to my surprise, there seemed to be broad consensus that they would
be a desirable feature to have, with only Dave MacQueen speaking up
against it. Derek's and Bob's paper would be the obvious starting point.

Cheers,
- Andreas