[MLton] MLton library project

Stephen Weeks sweeks at sweeks.com
Fri Sep 29 19:15:45 PDT 2006

> Are you trying to deliver 'Mlton' as a single work?

I would say yes, because that makes it easiest for users to understand
the licensing situation.  And it's why I think that all of MLton and
any libraries we distribute should use the same license.

> > Ah, it didn't occur to me that the license is immutable.
>
> But, adding new copyright notices to the license is not considered a
> mutable change?

We can't change the license text, but I have no problem adding to the
list of copyright holders.  In fact, we've already done so once to add
Cejtin+Fluet+Jagannatjan+Weeks.  By doing so, in effect we're adding
an (incredibly small) additional restriction to the original NEC
license, namely that additional copyright holders appear in copies.

It sounds like everyone is fine with

  Require that all contributors who want to assert copyright modify
  MLton-LICENSE, extending the copyright notice.  Go back to the old
  http://mlton.org/License, and add a note explaining that there is no
  intention to assigning copyright and that contributors can add to
  the notice.

So, I've done it.  Please check out mlton.org/License and let me know
if their are problems.

I look forward to contributions from SSH and others, and the
concomitant extension of the copyright list.