[MLton] Transactions for ML

Eric McCorkle ericmcc at cs.brown.edu
Tue Apr 17 17:10:04 PDT 2007

I've discussed this briefly with Philip Schatz, who is working on OS-
level threads, but I'm looking into the possibility of implementing a
transactional memory system for SML.  In particular, I'm interested
in a compiler-based STM implementation as opposed to the more typical
library-based approaches.

The first option I discussed with Philip was to insert calls to an
existing library implementation, reasoning that they could be
replaced with internal implementations at a later time, but this
loses due to the fact that any TM system in existence right now uses
the C-style stack.  However, I'd like to look into exactly what a
compiler can do to implement STM more efficiently anyway, so
constructing a framework specifically for MLton SML is something I'm
considering.

The main delicate point I see is the interplay between the scheduler,
the TM system, and the garbage collector.  I'd like to get some input
on the developers as to what the best implementation strategy would
be.  Specifically, which components should use which others, and how?

--
Eric McCorkle
Brown University