[MLton] Port to amd64-solaris

Matthew Fluet fluet at tti-c.org
Wed Aug 22 07:05:18 PDT 2007

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007, Ville Laurikari wrote:
> It would seem that no-one has built MLton for amd64-solaris.

No, I don't believe that anyone has attempted solaris on a non-sparc.

> Getting the runtime to build required only small patches to
> platform/solaris.[ch] and bin/platform.

Good.

> I cross compiled on x86-linux for amd64-solaris, but the resulting
> mlton-compile does not work:
>
>  [lots of output cut...]
>  1086163788 = getFrameIndexFromReturnAddress (0x00000000007fdc04)
>  findex = 1086163788  frameLayoutsLength = 21283
>  Assertion failed: findex < s->frameLayoutsLength, file gc/frame.c, line 25, function getFrameLayoutFromFrameIndex
>  Abort - core dumped

Was this with the native amd64 codegen?  I would try a cross-compile with
the C codegen first.  Converting from an ML return address to a frame
index with the native codegen requires looking at the word immediately
before the return label, so the codegen needs to put the index into the
assembly.  With the C codegen, it uses a different mechanism.

> Has anyone tried x86-solaris?  Solaris 10 is free to use nowadays.

I've never tried.