[MLton] mingw and solaris

Matthew Fluet fluet at tti-c.org
Mon Dec 17 19:41:06 PST 2007

[Moving from mlton-user to mlton.]

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007, Bernard Berthomieu wrote:
> With the current mlton sources, you also need to patch files
> runtime/platform/mingw.(h|c)
> as follows:
>   in runtime/platform/mingw.h : remove declarations of timezone and
> gettimeofday
>   in runtime/platform/mingw.c : modify the type of the second parameter of
> gettimeofday to (void *)

What version of MinGW/MSYS requires these changes?  Is there a simple way
to support both the older version of MinGW and the newer?

> I could also recompile mlton 20070826 on a x86-solaris station, from Scott's
> port and
> the 20070826 sources, and using the patch Scott published a few months ago on
> the user's
> list. I'm using this port quite often and never had any problem. Another
> prebuilt candidate ?

One difficulty with Scott's patch is that it doesn't gracefully handle
both Solaris 10 and previous versions of Solaris.  There was a patch to
support Solaris 7 applied less than a year ago, so older versions are
still being used, and I'm not sure that we should drop support for them.
Nonetheless, Solaris 10 seems to be significantly more POSIX/SUSv3
compliant, which makes it a nicer platform to target.

I mention both of these issues with supporting multiple versions of a
platform, because I'm not sure that our current mechanisms for doing so
are going to continue to scale.