[MLton] gc question

Matthew Fluet fluet at tti-c.org
Tue Feb 13 15:12:03 PST 2007

I always use the top-level Makefile target 'nj-mlton'.  I guess this
corresponds to reloading a dumped version every time.  But, it has the
benefit of letting you invoke mlton using the standard build/bin/mlton
script (which chooses the newer of a nj dump or a mlton executable in
the build/lib directory).

You have to be a little careful of that Makefile target, because SML/NJ
doesn't seem to return an error status when compilation fails; this has
the effect of not informing the Makefile that there was a problem, and
if there is a lot of screen output, you might not notice that you didn't
actually get a new dumped image.