[MLton] building mlton for darwin + intel

Thant Tessman thant at tessman.com
Tue Feb 20 08:52:06 PST 2007

Matthew Fluet wrote:

[...]

> I think if you configure gmp with --enabled-shared, it should build the
> .dylib files.  At least, that's what I see in the DarwinPorts port file,
> and I have the .dylib files in my DarwinPorts install of gmp.

Thanks yet again for the reply.

I'm building gmp with the following configuration:

./configure --host=none-unknown-darwin8.8.1 --enable-shared

It produces (after a make install as root):

	/usr/local/lib/libgmp.a
	/usr/local/lib/libgmp.la

Note that if you use the default configuration, which ./config.guess
reports as:

	pentium3-apple-darwin8.8.1

then the "make check" fails miserably early. And the gmp page itself
warns that gmp does not yet build correctly for "Macinteltosh" machines.

Have you checked your gmp build for intel macs?

Is there a compelling reason for the compiler (or mllex) to link
dynamically to the gmp library?

Sorry I'm not knowledgeable enough to dive in and be more specific in my
help. But I'll gladly do experiments for you.

-thant