[MLton] Compile MLton on MingW

Vesa Karvonen vesa.karvonen at cs.helsinki.fi
Mon Jan 29 07:45:05 PST 2007

(Oops, I accidentally didn't cc the mlton -list in my original reply.)

Quoting Quân Ta <quancta at gmail.com>:
> On 1/28/07, Vesa Karvonen <vesa.karvonen at cs.helsinki.fi> wrote:
[...]
> > One way around this problem is to replace the Basis library of the MLton
> > implementation that you are using to compile MLton.  IOW, go to the
> > /usr/lib/mlton/sml (or something) directory of your MinGW installation and
> > replace the basis library with a newer basis.  That approach is mentioned
> > in the thread you pointed at and that is what I did to compile on MinGW
> > when I sent the following e-mail:
> > http://mlton.org/pipermail/mlton/2006-November/029346.html .
> > I haven't tried this with the latest SVN implementation of the Basis
> > library, however.  If it doesn't work with the latest version (which has
> > lots of changes from the 64-bit branch), then you could checkout a SVN
> > revision whose date is close to the date of my e-mail.
[...]
> I tried that approach but that doesn't work any more, probably due to too
> much changes since as you pointed out.  there is no point going back to an
> earlier version, so for now, I will just use my linux build instead.  Hoping
> we will have a new mingw release sometime.  Thank you for your help.

What I meant is that you would compile the latest SVN checkout of MLton on
MinGW using an earlier basis library implementation that has the new spec
for unfoldi (and the working 20051202 compiler).

But, yeah, a new MinGW release would probably be easier.  (Maybe I could do
one this week.)

-Vesa Karvonen