[MLton] Windows port of MLton using the Microsoft tools (e.g. without MinGW)

skaller skaller at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jul 26 05:05:44 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 13:17 +0200, Nicolas Bertolotti wrote:

[Win64/AMD64 MLton]

"Now, I'm a stuck because I really don't know how to solve the remaining
issues so, I would really appreciate your comments and suggestions."

> Unfortunately, MinGW is not yet available for Win64.

This is not unfortunate. It is unlikely using GNU style code
is acceptable on Windows platforms. Making the code MS compliant
is the way forward.

> -         port the GNU MP library in order to build it using the
> Microsoft C compiler

I'd say "impossible". Gmp uses a heap of magic features of gcc,
and it barely works on gcc. If you examine their homepage
they're always complaining of heaps of gcc bugs, and recommend
only particular versions of gcc.

Rewriting the library is a better option. Most of the routines
have simple recodings in plain C, perhaps not efficient, but
I doubt that matters.

Peter Tanski has investigated this issue to some depth, in relation
to Windows for Haskell (I CC'd him so he might comment).