[MLton] Windows port of MLton using the Microsoft tools (e.g. without MinGW)

Nicolas Bertolotti nicolas.bertolotti at polyspace.com
Thu Jul 26 06:14:13 PDT 2007

I should have written "would not" instead. Sorry, I'm french and my English
is not so good.

The reason why a "real" 64 bits version is interesting for me is that my
software uses a lot of RAM and the more it can address, the better it is.

There are 3 reasons why I'm considering porting the MLton compiler.

The first one is that I'm afraid it would be hard for me to contribute to
"gcc" whereas it is much easier for me to contribute to MLton.

The second one is that the Windows version of GNU tools is usually available
much later than the Linux version (probably because the GNU community does
not like Windows) and this is exactly what's happening here. The 64 bits
version of Windows has been released a long time ago and the GNU tools still
don't support it.

The third one is that another compiler for an ML language (Objective Caml)
which is available for both MinGW and the Microsoft tools already supports
Win64. As a consequence, I thought it could be the way forward.

  _____