[MLton] List comprehensions?

Andreas Rossberg AndreasRossberg at web.de
Fri Jun 1 11:15:45 PDT 2007

From: "Matthew Fluet" <fluet at tti-c.org>

>> What most likely does break defunctorisation, though, is the combination
>> of first-class and higher-order modules.
>
> I think just first-class modules (with or without higher-order modules)
> would compromise defunctorisation.  At the very least, it wouldn't look
> like a 'classic' defunctorisation.

First-class modules without higher-order ones would imply (or at least I
meant that to imply) that you could not make functors first-class, i.e. you
only would have first-class structures. Wouldn't defunctorisation still be
applicable in that case? (Of course, monomorphisation would break.)

> On the other hand, higher-order modules (without first-class modules)
> shouldn't be a problem.  (Again, the difficulty is teaching the
> type-checker new tricks, but the target language would support it.)

Yes, I reckon.

- Andreas