[MLton] Progress on AMD64/FreeBSD

Ville Laurikari ville at laurikari.net
Wed Jun 27 23:02:43 PDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 05:28:10PM -0500, Henry Cejtin wrote:
> I seem to recall that on Linux (this is from a while ago) the only thing that
> mattered without MAP_FIXED was 0 vs. non-zero for the how the kernel would
> decide what part of your address space it would pick.

This seems to be a rather platform dependent thing.  On HP-UX, the
MAP_VARIABLE option tells mmap() to choose the memory location itself.
The man page on HP-UX advises to explicitly use either MAP_FIXED or
MAP_VARIABLE (for forwards compatibility), but it seems that
MAP_VARIABLE is default if neither flag is used.

I should probably tweak the runtime to pass MAP_VARIABLE on HP-UX.

--
http://www.iki.fi/vl/