[MLton] Experimental 64-bit binary package (& SVN sources)

Matthew Fluet fluet at tti-c.org
Thu Mar 1 05:57:42 PST 2007

skaller wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 01:06 -0600, Matthew Fluet wrote:
>> I have posted an experimental amd64-linux (64-bit mode) binary package
>> to the usual place:
>>    http://www.mlton.org/Experimental
>> The corresponding sources can be checked out with:
>>    svn co svn://mlton.org/mlton/branches/on-20050822-x86_64-branch
>> mlton.svn.x86_64
>> (You can skip the binary package and use a 32-bit build (preferably
>> from a recent trunk check out) to bootstrap.)
>
> I guess I'd like to build the sources from the binary eventually
> (maybe on my other box given the length of time .. :)

It's about 20min to compile the compiler on my 2GHz, 6GB system; you
need to compiler the compiler twice on a bootstrap, plus a little more
time to compile the runtime and tools.  Certainly no more than 1hr.

> For now, can you suggest some tests?

Running  bin/regression  from the sources will run the regression tests.
But otherwise, any existing SML program that works with MLton should
have the same behavior.

> In mlton script I changed
>
> #lib='/usr/lib/mlton'
>
> to reflect my install point:
>
> lib='/work/mlton/usr/lib/mlton'
>
> but I have no idea if that's enough .. possibly need to
> set PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH too?

No, you don't need to set PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.