[MLton] Experimental 64-bit binary package (& SVN sources) -- Reannounce

Matthew Fluet fluet at tti-c.org
Wed Mar 7 07:06:37 PST 2007

This is a re-announcement of the Experimental 64-bit binary package for
MLton.  The dynamic linker issue previously reported as been resolved; I
have confirmation that the binary package (built on a Fedora Core 6 box)
works and can be used to bootstrap (on an Ubuntu (Edgy?) box).

I have posted an experimental amd64-linux (64-bit mode) binary package
to the usual place:
   http://www.mlton.org/Experimental
The corresponding sources can be checked out with:
   svn co svn://mlton.org/mlton/branches/on-20050822-x86_64-branch
mlton.svn.x86_64
(You can skip the binary package and use a 32-bit build (preferably
from a recent trunk check out) to bootstrap.)

Currently, I'm mostly interested in the correctness of produced code;
please report any compile-time assertions or bugs in the resulting
executables.  I'm less interested in portability and configuration
issues, but please do report those that come up.  I'm least interested
in performance comparisons.

One final note, it looks like 2G RAM is required to comfortably
bootstrap.  You might be able to bootstrap with 1G, though you will
certainly need to edit mlton/Makefile and change "ram-slop 0.7" to
"ram-slop 0.95" in the FLAGS variable, and you'll need to be prepared to
have the OS do a lot of swapping.