[MLton] Re: [MLton-commit] r5549

Ville Laurikari ville at laurikari.net
Tue May 8 03:16:27 PDT 2007

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 02:07:13PM -0500, Matthew Fluet wrote:

> >Added CPPFLAGS which can be controlled from `make' command line.
> >Removed some trailing whitespace.
>
> >-FLAGS :=
> >+FLAGS := $(CPPFLAGS)
>
> Is there a good reason for adding CPPFLAGS to FLAGS, rather than to
> OPTCFLAGS and DEBUGCFLAGS, which is where we integrate CFLAGS?

I wanted to avoid sprinkling multiple occurrences of CPPFLAGS here and
there.  FLAGS looked like a good place.  Feel free to change it if you
feel some other way is better :)

The underlying reason for adding this in the first place was that we
keep gmp in a nonstandard location.  I actually use a script which
edits bin/mlton-script to add the appropriate -cc-opt and -link-opt.

It would be nice to have some sort of single place to define the
location for GMP before building mlton.  In a GNU package, it would be
the configure script.

--
http://www.iki.fi/vl/