[MLton] List comprehensions?

Vesa Karvonen vesa.a.j.k at gmail.com
Wed May 30 11:18:39 PDT 2007

On 5/30/07, Wesley W. Terpstra <terpstra at dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:
> I've been trying out haskell lately, and one thing I really like is:
> list comprehensions!

I have a recollection that Geoffrey Washburn has done something
related.  Aha, here it is:
http://osdir.com/ml/lang.sml.smlnj/2006-12/msg00010.html .

> However, what I extremely dislike is: lazy evaluation.
>
> To get the one, is the other required?
> ie: could a hypothetical SML2007 have this?
>
> Speaking of which, my SML++ shopping list would also include:
>    active patterns (see F#)

Have you looked at Rossberg's HaMLet S:
http://www.ps.uni-sb.de/hamlet/#successor-ml .  It has two designs for
views.  BTW, you can try HaMLet S (through smlbot) on the #sml irc
channel on freenode.net.

>    type classes

I heard that some people are working on this and related stuff.  So,
you might eventually get what you wish for.  :-)

-Vesa Karvonen