[MLton] GC on Cygwin/Vista

Tom Murphy tom7 at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Oct 1 20:54:53 PDT 2007

Bug report:

I just got a new computer with Windows Vista and I'm trying out MLton
20070826 on Cygwin there. Small programs work fine, but when I run out of
memory and a mlton-compiled binary decides to page to disk, it crashes
with (gc-messages on):

[GC: Writing heap at 0x331d0000 of size 427,789,296 bytes to disk.]
GetTempFileName failed with error 5

I don't have any idea why GetTempFileName is failing since it seems to be
called correctly. This is a pretty fresh insall with no funny business,
yet, so I don't think it's a problem particular to my machine.

Some notes:
* I modified runtime/platform/windows.c to always use the same filename
  c:\temp\asdf. Then the program sometimes gets past this point, but
  subsequently crashes with a segfault. (This might be because I'm just
  replacing the runtime in the binary distribution with a runtime I built
  myself; I can't do a whole self-compile because mlton exhibits the same
  bug when trying to self-compile.)
* It is failing on the first call to GetTempFileName.
* I have turned off the ntsec option to Cygwin because it was causing
  other permissions problems, but it doesn't change the behavior here.

Any tips?

 - Tom

[ NEW! : http://tom7.org/       ]
[ OLD! : http://fonts.tom7.com/ ]