[MLton] Generating C libraries from MLton (patch)

Matthew Fluet fluet at tti-c.org
Wed Aug 20 13:15:47 PDT 2008

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> Since the previous attempt to build C libraries with MLton seems to have
> fizzled out, I have taken it over. :-)

I strongly suggest that you add a 'doc/examples/ffi-shared' directory and
populate it with some sample code (and a Makefile) that demonstrates how
to build and use libraries and shared libraries.  It would go a long way
towards making testing on different platforms easier.

The overall architecture seems good, and I know that a lot of commits have
already been made.  (In retrospect, perhaps this would have been better
undertaken on a branch, but it hasn't seemed too disruptive to normal
executable compiles.)  I would also suggest that commit messages comment
directly on the commit in question; some of them seem to dump a lot of
information that isn't relevant to the particular commit.  The information
is good -- just send it directly to the mailing list or put it on the
wiki.

Another thing that would be helpful would be to document some things on
the wiki.  Something I would be interested in seeing is pointers/links to
other documentation that informs the design/implementation.  Particularly
with regards to the changes in the codegen, it would be comforting to see
an ABI document, and not simply working from the output of 'gcc -S'.