[MLton] MLton/MinGW installer on Experimental

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley at terpstra.ca
Mon Aug 25 15:45:25 PDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 7:55 AM, Ville Laurikari <ville at laurikari.net>wrote:

> It would be good to include a .bat or program to run MLton from
> outside the msys environment.  It would set up the path and whatnot,
> and then run the mlton (script) with bash.  This way people who don't
> want to get into the shell could just run MLton from a makefile or
> IDE, without caring about MinGW and bash.
>
> The installer could give an option to add this mlton.bat or program in
> the system PATH, so it could be run directly from anywhere without
> extra hassle.

I've done both. The new installer (r6811) has a mlton.bat stuck in the path
(along with gcc, ld, make, etc).

Typical start menu items are some subset of these:
>  * Link to start the program
>  * A "README" or "About" document link
>  * Website link
>  * Links to included documents
>  * Uninstall link

I did all of these except the Uninstall link, since I read somewhere that
this is forbidden by the "windows logo", whatever that means. At any rate,
apparently it's not something nice programs do.

Because MLton isn't really useful as a program that you just run, I
> think a desktop icon is not needed at all.  Perhaps a start menu link
> to start the bundled msys shell would be a good idea, though.

The MSYS shell has a link from the Start Menu.

I also associated MLton to the extensions .sml and .mlb. They show up with a
... very artistic ... logo and double-clicking on them will automatically
launch MLton to compile them.