[MLton] Ongoing parallel runtime work

Eric McCorkle ericmcc at cs.brown.edu
Tue Jan 22 11:39:29 PST 2008

On Jan 22, 2008, at 11:55 AM, Matthew Fluet wrote:

> These sound like fairly extensive changes to both the runtime and
> the compiler proper.  Is all of this implemented and working, or
> just work-in-progress changes?

I'm envisioning some sort of -parallel flag, which will compile for
the parallel runtime.  There shouldn't be too many actual compiler
changes, truth be known, just some changes in the handling of
pointers, the formatting of objects, and allocating memory.  In fact,
the threading will become much simpler, as the thread code is all
external.

The scheduler is finished and withstands some rather harsh random
testing.  The lock-free malloc is at a compiling state, but was
implemented exactly as described by Maged Michael's paper.  I'm about
50% finished with the garbage collector (not including compiler
modification).

--
Eric McCorkle
Brown University