[MLton] Port to HP-UX/IA64 done

Matthew Fluet fluet at tti-c.org
Thu Jan 31 06:53:01 PST 2008

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, Ville Laurikari wrote:
> There were a few warnings like this in compiling the runtime:
>  gc/cheney-copy.c:32: warning: cast increases required alignment of target type
> It appears they cause no harm, or at least things seems to work
> regardless of them.

I know we've seen (and lived with) the same warnings on sparc (and maybe
hppa).  Unsurprisingly, those are the archs where 8 is the default
alignment.  I believe it has to do with the fact that (because it is the
more common case) we assert that pointers to ML objects are 4byte aligned
(via a typedef in <src>/runtime/util/pointer.h), but occasionally need to
cast from an abstract ML object pointer to a concrete C struct
pointer (when we know the ML object is a Weak, Thread, IntInf, etc.).

I think these are all benign, although I am surprised that on a 32-bit
build, GCC wants to give a struct of two 32-bit values 64-bit alignment.