[MLton] Re: [MLton-commit] r6639

Vesa Karvonen vesa.a.j.k at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 15:39:40 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 12:42 AM, Matthew Fluet <fluet at tti-c.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, Vesa Karvonen wrote:
[...]
>> Better options.
[...]
>> -mlton-opts := -const 'MLton.safe false' -const 'MLton.detectOverflow false' -loop-passes 2
>> +mlton-opts := -align 8 -loop-passes 16
>
> I could believe that '-loop-passes 2' helps, but '-loop-passes 16' would be
> extreme.  Just getting lots of inlining?

That is just my laziness.  :-)  It is such a small program that 16
passes goes by quickly and I didn't want to spend time looking for the
optimal number of passes.  I also accidentally forgot the unsafe
options that I tried to see how much speedup they would give.   ...I
did some more testing and it seems that the program doesn't change
much after 4 passes.  However, there are differences between 1, 2, 3,
and 4 passes.

-Vesa Karvonen