[MLton] symbol scopes

Matthew Fluet fluet at tti-c.org
Wed Nov 12 12:40:53 PST 2008

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> Anyway, it's true that no single operating system (so far) needs all
> three cases at once, although I wouldn't be so sure for other
> architectures. These three categories were the simplest framework I
> could come up with that when used according to the rules would work on
> every system I've seen.
>
> The rules aren't that complicated:
> 1. match private/public within a DSO
> 2. import using external from another DSO
>
> I also had hoped that the three categories are simple to understand.
> It's not obvious how they map to each platform until you've really
> understood the ABI of the target, but I am confident that they do
> work.

It is clear that you've put a fair bit of thought into it.  And, there is
certainly a design goal here that allows for identical SML source to be
used on different platforms.  It is a tough situation: understanding one
ABI is hard enough; understanding an abstract ABI that doesn't (directly)
correspond to any ABI is harder.