[MLton] Including dlfcn-win32 in MLton

Ville Laurikari ville at laurikari.net
Mon Nov 24 06:55:57 PST 2008

Hi,

There was discussion a while ago regarding removing the built-in
implementation on dlopen() and friends from the MLton runtime (on
MinGW), and using dlfcn-win32 instead.

An unpatched version of dlfcn-win32 does not work at all with MLton,
which Dan DuVarney no doubt has noticed and made a patch:
  http://code.google.com/p/dlfcn-win32/issues/detail?id=2

With this patch, it at least appears to work.  Before, programs would
just throw a DynLinkError with an empty messag.  I didn't check if it
leaks handles or not, but I believe Vesa in that it does leak.

Dan, have you had any luck in getting commit access to get your patch
included in the official SVN repo?

My point is that if we plan to use dlfcn-win32 in MLton, it would be
good that the upstream version works as-is.  Having to patch it sort
of defeats the purpose of not having to maintain our own code for
dlopen().

BTW, I could not find an email address for Ramiro Polla, the author of
dlfcn-win32.  Does anyone have it?

--
http://www.iki.fi/vl/