[MLton] Library support mostly complete

Ville Laurikari ville at laurikari.net
Wed Oct 22 05:06:59 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 01:09:00PM +0200, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> Are you using gcc > 4.0? What is the error it reports?

GCC 4.2.2, it says:

  gc/int-inf.c: In function 'initIntInf':
  gc/int-inf.c:423: warning: visibility attribute not supported in this configuration; ignored

ad nauseaum.

> Why didn't we need an import file when building executables?

It appears that importing external symbols works largely automatically
with both the IBM and GCC toolchains.  Perhaps there are cases where
one needs to create import files explicitly, but I'm not familiar
enough with the system to tell what these cases could be.

> What is the extension for a shared library?

On AIX, all libraries are packaged into regular archives files which
bear the .a suffix.  The .a archives then contain objects or shared
objects.

So, a shared library is typically created by building the .so with
"gcc -shared" and then wrapping into a .a using "ar".

--
Ville