[MLton] Running regression tests in parallel

Vesa Karvonen vesa.a.j.k at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 21:41:49 PDT 2008

Attached is an experimental script I cooked up the other night for
running regression tests in parallel.  It is not yet finished.  One
thing missing is code to trap signals. The changes are probably also
incompatible with some other options (like -resume).  It also probably
doesn't work on all platforms.  (I'll fix those issues.) However, on
my 4-core linux machine with -parallel 4, it cuts the time for running
regression tests to about a third (~9 minutes rather than ~27).

This is my first attempt at this kind of parallel programming with
shell scripts. :-)  Basically, I'm using lockfile for simple mutual
exclusion and condition synchronization. If you happen to know some
better/easier ways to do things in parallel in shell scripts, let me
know.  Another completely different approach might be to use make
(rewriting the regression script as a Makefile) and use make with the
-j option.