[MLton] getText{Start,End} considered harmful

Ville Laurikari ville at laurikari.net
Mon Sep 22 22:58:30 PDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 06:33:43PM +0200, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> MLton currently uses two functions, GC_getText{Start,End}, to create a giant
> lookup table for profiling. These two functions are among the hardest things
> to supply when porting MLton. It becomes even harder once shared libraries

I can vouch for the difficulty of porting these.   One can always of
course just #define HAS_TIME_PROFILING FALSE and live without
profiling...

It took me quite a while to figure out how to do it on HP-UX (it did
turn out to be quite simple, though).  It works at least for
standalone executables, but I have no idea about shared libraries.

For AIX, I didn't even try.

> So to sum up: could I just kill these off and use a binary search?

Yes, please :)

--
http://www.iki.fi/vl/