[MLton] Re: [MLton-commit] r6887

Matthew Fluet fluet at tti-c.org
Tue Sep 30 14:17:58 PDT 2008

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Wesley Terpstra wrote:
> feround.c and IEEEReal.c carried duplicated fesetround code.
> The IEEEReal i386 version also works on x86_64.

This is not technically true, as it only sets the control word on the x87
unit and not on the SSE unit.  For amd64, we use the SSE instructions
exclusively for floating-point computation, so changing the x87 control
word has no effect.  See
   http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/libc/sysdeps/x86_64/fpu/fesetround.c?rev=1.2&cvsroot=glibc

I doubt that there is any amd64 platform that does not provide
fe{get,set}round in libm, so I don't think it is necesary to provide
assembly for amd64.