[MLton] rounding modes and minimum gcc version

Adam Goode adam at spicenitz.org
Sat Apr 18 19:45:52 PDT 2009

Hi,

Looking into IEEE rounding mode stuff more, it looks like for gcc, if
the rounding mode is going to be changed, then -frounding-math must be
set, or else behavior is undefined. Otherwise, gcc could perform
constant folding assuming the default rounding mode. I believe all of
the runtime and anything compiled with the C backend must have this flag
(but only if the rounding mode is actually ever changed from SML, is it
easy to tell?).

This flag was only introduced in gcc 3.4. I am adding it conditionally
to the runtime Makefile, but what about in mlton-script? Can we assume
gcc 3.4? (It's 5 years old today!)

Thanks,

Adam